Thursday, August 21, 2014

arrivederci Cinque Terre

Buena sera. I enjoyed my time in cinque terre a lot! I liked it a lot more than Roma, but everyone has their own tastes! I guess I must really like small towns. I thought I loved big cities too; when I had gone to Washington D.C., I loved it! But then again it was not flocked with tourists at that time! Roma was beautiful, but overrated in my opinion. Back to Cinque terre, area in north west Italy called Liguria that has 5 small villages on the coastal hills. It was beaitiful beyond words! The ocean, so peaceful during the day, and just as turbulent waves at night hitting the rocks. I am waiting for my train to Milano right now. Heading to Switzerland from Milano! I loved exploring the 5 villages in Ccinque terre (by the way pesto originated in this region, so of course I ate it a lot! :) my fav village was manarola, the one I was staying in! It is the smallest I think, but I loved it the most. The main st. Leading to the harbor/rocks..such a peaceful retreat. Iyesterday, we got up early and headed to hike to riomaggiore. Was fun and better with group of people than myself! Enjoyed breakfast there and took trains to all other villages. Ended the day with dinner in cornegila on oceanview restaurant and back to manarola to pack. Got gelato for last time n headed to hrbor. Now got to go catch my train! :) well while I am waiting at la stazione di la spezia centrale, I will write more. So each village has its own feel to it. All were busy with tourists as this is a very popular area now, but who would not enjoy their beauty and simplicity?! The hike to Riomagiorre from Manarola was much easier than the one from Manarola to Cornegilia! It still had breathraking views of the towns seen from atop hills with the sea perfectly lining their contour while grape vines lining the trails... I am not a natural at hiking and was the slowest of our group but I actually enjoyed this hike! I think if I hike more often, I will be better and I need decent shoes!!!! These shoes probably did not help my cause! For people who are adreneline junkies or love hiking, xinque terre is my reccomendation!  As much as I loved the beach (rocks at the sea), and narrow streets with colorful homes,  I loved people watching! Learning about local culture from observation. One day foe lunch, I got takeaway and sat at a common compound where kids were playing. ...or walking behind elder ladies walking from the markets...or gathering and sitting on the benches in the narrow streeta! Sio nice...the simple life! On the other hand, the regional trains were crowded! Squeezing my way through with a friend I made at the hostel... good times! Well the train should be coming any time now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment