Saturday, August 2, 2014

Pre-planning

Welcome to my blog!
     I absolutely love writing and expressing my observations and thoughts! Previously, I blogged when I was in India, although I was not backpacking at the time; It was more like living there, but I like to make the most of every moment and capture it in writing.  As per the title, I will try to document my travel experiences or adventures here.  Like millions of people worldwide, I am very fond of travel.  I am even more fond of learning about different cultures, new languages, challenging myself, and meeting people from all walks of life.  Travel seems to be key to unlocking that avenue.  Nonetheless, I still think that there is a lot to learn even in your own community with a new set of eyes. 
     I had never really entertained the idea of backpacking through Europe in the past.  I always thought it would be too expensive or out of reach to go anywhere in Europe.  I am also not a big fan of only sight-seeing.  My idea of traveling was more of living within the community as a local, but hey, with time, your ideas change too.  At least the part about how to make a trip to Europe feasible.  Initially, it all started with wanting a mini vacation, but when a cruise in the Caribbean idea backfired, I started thinking of other ways to give myself a belated birthday present.  Why wait for someone else to make your dreams come true, instead why not be your own charioteer (I've been reading into Greek history a lot lately...reference- Delphi statue of the charioteer).  As I was brainstorming new ideas, my brother gave me the idea of going to Europe with him and my sister-in-law.  Their dates and my dates did not match up as I have a narrow 2 week window to backpack through Europe and make the most of this mini-adventure before classes start.  Then I thought, I could work harder, save up more, and create my own itinerary allowing me the freedom to choose the destinations I most want to go to.
     From there, I started the research: Travel books, blogs, websites, videos, and any tip or planning help I could find.  Planning has been an annoying process as I realized that going during a high tourist season means a lot of pre-booking and more expensive quotes.  I had to tweek my itinerary over 15 times probably, until I felt content with my current plan.  From choosing between flights, ferries, trains, to buses, hostels, never thought it would get so complex but my determination to create my own journey has not lost its fuel.  I read more and more blogs and discovered how much I love the notion of leaving materialism behind, and traveling light with a backpack.  I found the smallest backpack I could find on a budget, and packed 2 weeks of gear.  I don't like the idea of staying in fancy hotels, getting 5 star luxury treatment, or dining at most exquisite restaurants in Milan or Paris.  Instead, I am more of walk for kilometers getting lost, finding my way, find the cheapest yet most social accommodations where I can meet other fellow backpackers or travelers, eat something authentic, but something that is not equal 1 week's grocery bill in one meal.  That is how I came up with my current itinerary. 
     I decided my top destinations were Greece, Switzerland (I know this seems to contradict everything I said, but it has always been a dream of mine to go to Switzerland...so when in Europe...why not? plus that is where all the great adventure sports are!), Italy, and UK.  If I had more time, I would have loved to explore all the other beautiful and culturally diverse European nations, but for a compact time frame, I had to narrow down my must-see places.  I have always loved Greek mythology, and that imaginative child in me, has remained fascinated with ancient ruins.  Mythology is different from history, but is is tied with history and culture.  Where are the ruins at, in Greece.  I don't care about island hopping, instead, where did Socrates get his inspiration from?  Where was the great oracle, the temple of Zeus, Athena...that is where I want to be. 
    I will blog more later depending on internet access, my phone's battery power, and time, but until then, remember, this is your life. It will not wait for you to live; you have to live it!
The smallest (travel) size paint set I own has arrived! The inner artist in me cannot entertain the idea of going where some of the greatest paintings have been created without painting myself! Paint journaling...

travel books galore...

No comments:

Post a Comment