Monday, August 25, 2014

Geneve (Geneva) -city of peace and global unity

I left Interlaken yesterday, took train from Interlaken OST to Geneva via Bern... it was a magical ride! The scenary of the countryside on my right looking out the window, and little kids giggling and playing on my left as families travel a lot on trains with children here! I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was bittersweet leaving Interlaken, but it was time to move on! Every place I have lived in so far has felt like home; may be I adjust well to change.. I said goodbye to the bernese oberland..jungfrau mountains and swiss small town beauty of interlaken by scetching at the hostel outside while sipping delicious hot chocolate that I got for free at the hostel. (Hostel staying tip: find hostels with kitchens and free complimentary continental breakfast!) Anyway, finally arrived in Geneva. Walked over to my hostel (walking over public transportation is the way to go to really absorb the local environment!) But my back was sore...I did not mind as I was used to it by now. :) no pain, no gain/or is it game? So back to story, I got to the wondeful Geneva hostel and got to my room. This hostel was very clean and spacious! I was in awe! I did not want to waste any time though, so I locked up my stuff and headed out the door. I walked over to the United Nations headquarters, andlooked around for the red cross museum (Red Cross was founded here)...so I finally found the museum after walking in circles! Used my gps on my phone as my last resort to find it :) it was a great museum! The price was 15 or 14 CHF but I got in for 7!!  I think nurses should get a discount anyway for such a museum! Actually the guy at the counter was very nice and despite the fact I am not under 22, he gave me the discount price! (Europe museum tip:take student ID or mention you are a student)..unforyunately, I did not get a discount at the Vatican museum because I did not have my student ID with me, but couple other places I just said I was a student and got a discount!! It is the truth! Well, the REd Cross museum had a free audio guide with ot that automatically updated the comentary based on location of exhibits! GENEVA is the ideal city-encironmentally friendly, sustainable, diverse, and high tech! The museum's exhibits were really moving and I learned a lot! I might post pics later as I am teying to conserve my phone battery while I am waiting for my flight out of Geneva. ...so my adapter is stuck in the wall outlet in the hostel room..luckily, I won't need it as I am headed to London for a night before back to USA. After the museum, I spent some time in front of United Nations where the fountains are watchingkids play-put a smile on my face! I was in the city where WHO, UNICEF, UN headquarters are!! I was in my dreamland...may be I have too many favorite places, but Geneva is now added to my list! I loved it! I then walked back to the hostel and got food..  mcdonalds to save money..cheapest thing I could find on the menue that would be filling! Then got to hostel room and met incredible people!! I met someone who was on a walking pilgrimage! And several other people-many people I have met on this journey have been inspiration for me! I love hearing their stories... I then slept like a baby ..next morning, headed out to Lake Geneva after wonderful breKfast for free at hostel..met another great person. She and I talked for an hr over breakfast but could not run out of topics..I love these random encounters...get to learn so much and discuss ideas about global ossues and comparing out countries... learned so much about the British healthcare system!! ..sigh.. anyway, I dreamt of visiting UN from the inside but tickets were sold out.. so I went to the lake instead. The lake had a whole row of posters on United nations activities goals etc...soit made up for not being able to go inside the UN building! The lake felt like an outdoor museum and I was mesmerized... I realized how much more pasionate I felt after reading those posters on global issues..I will post the pics later, but they are really something to think about! I ended up walking around the lake for good 2-3hrs and had my nutella and crackers for lunch! (Saved breakfast food for lunch!-money saving tip) I finally walked over to the other side of the lake after having a great time meeting some local people, petting dogs, scetching, bird feeding and little jogging :) I got on a boat that is a public trasportation method(can get on for free with public transportation card that j got forfree from the hostel!)... I got my boat ride!!  Then just headed back and got my stuff together and took train to airport (for free!)...I waiting to board now... Geneva was teuly incrdible...I loved it here! So diverse..one moment I wa walking on Swotzerland territory, and next, France! :) I feel bittersweet leaving Switzerland! I learned so much and I wull miss this environment...but I must say goodbye...au revior... I suck at French...and German,and Italian.. but hey, some Spanish and English with basic vocab helped me get around! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment