Thursday, August 14, 2014

Athens to Delphi

Journey into Greek mythology! Beautiful trip and an amazing, warm, caring, and of course, knowledgeable and insightful tour guide led the way! Yes, warm, caring, and insightful are important adjectives to mention as they are very pertinent to professionalism. A black suit and lack of smile is not going to make people trust and confide in someone; instead, his attention to making sure everyone is safe, accounted for, is eating well, jokes, and friendly persona made me feel comfortable and enjoy the tour even more! It was like passing through greek mythology. So I started my day by waking up early (the usual), heading to metro, got to Syntagma square (main/very important place in Athens-parliament is there, national gardens, etc.) From the station, headed to hotel Amalia where the tour bus departed from. To my surprise, the tour guide told stories all throughout the route to delphi (3hr journey)..and I loved it!! Now that is a true guide! We saw the first real settlement arwa of athens where athens won one of the first battles (I don't remember all details as I was sleepy!), Gaia's (creater/Mother Earth per greek mythology who created many Greek Gods or they came from her lineage) mountain where she lived and created. There is the story of a serpent who used to go to delphi in speing to warm his blood, and Apollo hid behind a cetain rock and defeated him there. Apollo wanted that place to be where he could communicate with humans. He established the oracle. There is natural gas/fumes coming from that area where the oracle sat and it is likely thag I'd what sent her into a trance. There are many other stories, but I will spare furthed details.. I want to enjoy the little time I have left in Athens now! We had lunch at amalia hotel in Delphi. I am more of a street food kind of a girl, but it was ok. The tour bus took us there, and I went along eventhougb they gave me the option of dropping and picking me up in the town elsewhere too! I just didn't want to miss the bus being 3 hrs from Athens and plane to catch tomorow! I did some introspecting along the way because a long bus ride sets you up for it, especially a scenic one through beutiful mountains and music to your ears. As I saw families and friends touring together, I wondered what it would be like to be with friends or family for a trip like this....then I remembered, it was not meant to be. Travelling the way I am is to promote personal growth! It is not about luxurious accomodations all the time (althoigh for me, even a dorm bunk is luxurious! And washing clothes in sink efficient!) Anyway, let me put picks up!! I willsubtitle them later may be.. forgive the slang and lack of proper grammar. Typing from phone is not as high quality computer! Update: I decided to go exploring around the city some more; so after I washed my clothes in our convinient little sink today and found creative ways to hang them to dry, I rewarded myself with a rooftop view of thr city and acropolis. Finally got a chance to sketch the acropolis! Then, I headed out to find street food! Got a traditional cheese pie pastry..yummm... then walked over into the plaka district ...its was street after street of shops...seems like a very common place to hangout. Then got myself some ice cream (see photos below of some of the food! Those who know me know that I have a self-proclaimed  tradition of taking pics of food I eat!) Then got lost but its ok because getting lost should be and is part of the plan! Of course I found my way...I try to figure it out on my way before asking for help, and a I had to so was trace my steps through the streets and shops! I found somr corn again! This timr, I got all spices put on it! Bad idea..my mouth was burning! (I am Indian, but I lack the gene for spicy food tolerance)..I then weny back to the square by the station and got gelato from across the st. I alternated between the gelato and spicy corn...finally gelato won, and I couldn't finish the corn! I did not bring antacids, and I was not about to get severe heartburn! Then after some people watching, I headed back to hostel...did some packing but have to finish up in AM as half my clothes are still drying... here is to hoping they are dry by AM before I have to leave!
Temple of Apollo


Gaia's mountain

Greek symbol for eternity

self explanatory
Random church near Plaka 

ice cream heaven

nutella ice cream

cornwith spicy seasoning

nutella gelato (i fell in love with this flavor! Although i had never had nutella in thr past! ) tasted sooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment