I need to Thank God for this journey first and foremost... it is Janamastmi afterall. Cannot go to a temple, but happy to pray from my heart! Any place we practice greatefulness is a temple. I have been blessed to visit different places of worship so far!
I just got back from exploring Zagarolo, the town I'm staying in. As I am unwinding lostening to music (mix of Italiano, English, and occssional Bethoven or Mozart tunes!), I thought I would post some pics from the town I ventured into and walked 1 hr to get to centro storico (historical center of the town) uphill, and back downhill while taking in the beauty of small town feel and locals. I walked into several shops to practice my Italian :) trying to use new vocabulary. My main phrase today has been: buongiorno, dove centro storoco? (Good morning/afternoon, where is historical center?) Baby steps....
Had small cup of chocolate cappichino from a cappichino vending machine at the hostel. Gave me energy to walk uphill for hours!
Of course I stop by anything medical...this poster was on the wall on the street...I could barely read it, but it was fun trying! I would like to translate it and really learn more about what it says soon!
The story goes: I was at the Colloseum, major cramps, needed Ibuprofen, searched my bag, found an open bottle of ibuprofen will pills scattered in my bag, left without pain relief and whole day in front of me, I practiced mind over matter. Then later in the day , I encountered a farmacia that had Ibuprofen, but very overpriced. I did not buy it. Today, I went into the farmacia at the top of the town just to compare prices, it was cheaper than from the city farmacia, but still very overpriced. I figured it is only going to get more expensive elsewhere, so I baught it for emergency purposes. Those who know me know me or hang out with me a lot know that I must have cough drops and Ibuprofen with me at all times! Anyway, I figured Switzerland would only be far more expensive than Italy, so just get the medicine here! The pharmacists were really nice and with my broken Italian, and their patience, I was able to buy this! I really wish I had learned Italian in high school or college. I had always wanted to! I will try to learn more, and someday, I will come back to Italy and be more proficient in Italiano!(although I did not toss a coin in Trevi fountain-come on! Euro coins are worth a lot more than pennies and dimes! was not going to throw away money in a fountain without water!) I need a nap...I think I am giving myself a relaxing Sunday before I go to Vatican city tomorow...the tickets are sold out online, so I might have to wait for hours in the que, but oh well, it is part of the experience. Patience is a virtue :) Overall, although I had planned to go to Pompeii today on a day trip, I am glad I decided to stay in the town instead :) May be some other time...who knows, may be there is another trip to Italy en mi futuro...(ok this is Spanish, but I cannot help it! My Italian turns into Spanish sometimes)... update: just got back from the city an hr ago...i went to this neighborhood called san lorenzo...one of the hostel staff members recommended i go there because i wanted to avoid tourist area (i know i know i am going to Vatican tomorow!) But going to san lorenzo area was very eyee opening for me. I expected grafitti on the walls, and lack of tourists, but i saw something i wasnt really expecting. It felt like any neighborhood in a minority diverse part of town of any large City...the type of neighborhood im used to growing up in. I was a little apprehensive walking alongside the termini station down the rd to get to the st. Leading there, but i made it safe and sound. Apparently it is a college neighborhood too, but it was Sunday and all shops were closed but a couple so hard to tell... what i saw were families from sifferent backgrounds and a small park. I saw people who move to a new country and work any job they can find to make a living and shpport their families. As long as i had to walk from the termini to get there, i am glad i went. It gave me a new appreciation for Roma. It is more than what meets the eye. Another great memory, as I was catching the train back to the hostel, on the train I sat with this family. They must have been returning from a weekend out it seemed like. Anyway, i felt like a local just catching a train back home, my hostel feels like home after a long day out! As the station i needed to get off at arrived, the gentleman next to me politely asked me if i need to get off and got up for me. He was the dad of the family sitting with me...i still remember his kindness and cinsideration. It was a small gesture, but really touched my heart! I also pondered into another chapel. I love randomness like that. GOD will take me where I am meant to be. I ended the day with meeting fellow traveller and had a deep insightful conversation about comparing health care, education, societal systems between various countries as we both were so pasionate about certain things! I love meeting new people, and there is so much to learn. I never realized how diverse Europe is until I came here, each country, region, city, neighborhood and people are all so different. And more than sight seeing, people watching and taking in the local cultures has really moved me. Especially the san lorenzo area... (side note: I walked into this shop that was playing sajanji ghar aaye-a bollywood hindi song..it was owned by aan from Bangladesh! I felt like dancing!) So much diversity! I reay need to pack and organize... I am planning on Vatican tomorow but I am not too into it. I will go without any expectations. I think after seeing the small town of the hostel, and seeing the san lorenzo neighborhood, i feel indifferent to anything too glamarous, but i am only going for the religious amd cultural significance of it. I dont care.much for statues or paintings currently... I do respect the faith and would love to worship there though! buena notte
I just got back from exploring Zagarolo, the town I'm staying in. As I am unwinding lostening to music (mix of Italiano, English, and occssional Bethoven or Mozart tunes!), I thought I would post some pics from the town I ventured into and walked 1 hr to get to centro storico (historical center of the town) uphill, and back downhill while taking in the beauty of small town feel and locals. I walked into several shops to practice my Italian :) trying to use new vocabulary. My main phrase today has been: buongiorno, dove centro storoco? (Good morning/afternoon, where is historical center?) Baby steps....
Had small cup of chocolate cappichino from a cappichino vending machine at the hostel. Gave me energy to walk uphill for hours!
Of course I stop by anything medical...this poster was on the wall on the street...I could barely read it, but it was fun trying! I would like to translate it and really learn more about what it says soon!
The story goes: I was at the Colloseum, major cramps, needed Ibuprofen, searched my bag, found an open bottle of ibuprofen will pills scattered in my bag, left without pain relief and whole day in front of me, I practiced mind over matter. Then later in the day , I encountered a farmacia that had Ibuprofen, but very overpriced. I did not buy it. Today, I went into the farmacia at the top of the town just to compare prices, it was cheaper than from the city farmacia, but still very overpriced. I figured it is only going to get more expensive elsewhere, so I baught it for emergency purposes. Those who know me know me or hang out with me a lot know that I must have cough drops and Ibuprofen with me at all times! Anyway, I figured Switzerland would only be far more expensive than Italy, so just get the medicine here! The pharmacists were really nice and with my broken Italian, and their patience, I was able to buy this! I really wish I had learned Italian in high school or college. I had always wanted to! I will try to learn more, and someday, I will come back to Italy and be more proficient in Italiano!(although I did not toss a coin in Trevi fountain-come on! Euro coins are worth a lot more than pennies and dimes! was not going to throw away money in a fountain without water!) I need a nap...I think I am giving myself a relaxing Sunday before I go to Vatican city tomorow...the tickets are sold out online, so I might have to wait for hours in the que, but oh well, it is part of the experience. Patience is a virtue :) Overall, although I had planned to go to Pompeii today on a day trip, I am glad I decided to stay in the town instead :) May be some other time...who knows, may be there is another trip to Italy en mi futuro...(ok this is Spanish, but I cannot help it! My Italian turns into Spanish sometimes)... update: just got back from the city an hr ago...i went to this neighborhood called san lorenzo...one of the hostel staff members recommended i go there because i wanted to avoid tourist area (i know i know i am going to Vatican tomorow!) But going to san lorenzo area was very eyee opening for me. I expected grafitti on the walls, and lack of tourists, but i saw something i wasnt really expecting. It felt like any neighborhood in a minority diverse part of town of any large City...the type of neighborhood im used to growing up in. I was a little apprehensive walking alongside the termini station down the rd to get to the st. Leading there, but i made it safe and sound. Apparently it is a college neighborhood too, but it was Sunday and all shops were closed but a couple so hard to tell... what i saw were families from sifferent backgrounds and a small park. I saw people who move to a new country and work any job they can find to make a living and shpport their families. As long as i had to walk from the termini to get there, i am glad i went. It gave me a new appreciation for Roma. It is more than what meets the eye. Another great memory, as I was catching the train back to the hostel, on the train I sat with this family. They must have been returning from a weekend out it seemed like. Anyway, i felt like a local just catching a train back home, my hostel feels like home after a long day out! As the station i needed to get off at arrived, the gentleman next to me politely asked me if i need to get off and got up for me. He was the dad of the family sitting with me...i still remember his kindness and cinsideration. It was a small gesture, but really touched my heart! I also pondered into another chapel. I love randomness like that. GOD will take me where I am meant to be. I ended the day with meeting fellow traveller and had a deep insightful conversation about comparing health care, education, societal systems between various countries as we both were so pasionate about certain things! I love meeting new people, and there is so much to learn. I never realized how diverse Europe is until I came here, each country, region, city, neighborhood and people are all so different. And more than sight seeing, people watching and taking in the local cultures has really moved me. Especially the san lorenzo area... (side note: I walked into this shop that was playing sajanji ghar aaye-a bollywood hindi song..it was owned by aan from Bangladesh! I felt like dancing!) So much diversity! I reay need to pack and organize... I am planning on Vatican tomorow but I am not too into it. I will go without any expectations. I think after seeing the small town of the hostel, and seeing the san lorenzo neighborhood, i feel indifferent to anything too glamarous, but i am only going for the religious amd cultural significance of it. I dont care.much for statues or paintings currently... I do respect the faith and would love to worship there though! buena notte







No comments:
Post a Comment